11:30 AM - 3 PM
To view the coming week's box contents list,
to order, or to send us an email please click
BU FARMER'S CHOICE BOXES
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is a system in which people invest in their local farm in return for a share of the produce during the growing season. This benefits both the farms and the consumers! Shareholders receive fresh, bountiful local produce and play an active role in supporting their community food system. Their investment provides pre-season income to the farms at a time when they must make great expenditures but do not yet have crops to sell.
BU Dining Services is once again partnering with Ward's Berry Farm to provide BU Farmer's Choice Boxes - set boxes of seasonal fruits and vegetables for pre-ordering. Each week from mid June through late October farmer Jim Ward will select a variety of local produce (most of which is picked fresh right here at Ward's Berry Farm in Sharon, MA) to fill the boxes. The contents of the boxes vary from week to week as the season progresses, so not only do you get fresh produce, but you also gain a real feel for our local cycle of crops!
Each week during the season, an approximate list of the contents of that week's box will be posted on our website on the BU Farmer's Choice Boxes order page. Actual contents may vary; if crops don't come in as expected, we must make substitutions. Any substitutions will be with items as similar as possible, and of equal or greater value.
- PURCHASING OPTIONS:
- We offer three options for purchasing:
- FULL SEASON SHARE - $480
One box every week from 6/9/16 - 10/27/16 (21 weeks)
Ordering Deadline: April 15, 2016
- LATE SEASON SHARE - $205
One box every week from 9/1/16 - 10/27/16 (9 weeks)
Ordering Deadline: August 1, 2016
- WEEK-BY-WEEK - $25/box
This option is not a subscription; you may order any number of boxes any weeks you choose.
- PICKUP SCHEDULE:
- Thursdays, from 11:30AM until 3:00PM
outside in front of the GSU Plaza, 775 Commonwealth Ave.
- FULL SEASON SHARES
You may order and prepay on our order page.
Ordering deadline: April 15, 2016
- LATE SEASON SHARES
You may order and prepay on our order page.
Ordering deadline: August 1
You may order and prepay on our order page. Please be sure to have your receipt (either printed out or visible on your phone) with you when you pick up.
10:00PM Tuesdays for the coming Thursday's box.
All cancellations must be made by the ordering deadline.
- When does it start?
- Our first box for 2016 will be Thursday, June 9. The list of approximate contents will be posted on our order page and emailed to people on the email list.
- Where do I pick up?
- Pickup is outside in front of the GSU Plaza, 775 Commonwealth Ave. If there is heavy rain (or any other condition that makes outdoor pickup unsuitable), pick up may be moved inside the GSU link, next to Bank of America.
- Can someone else pick up my box for me?
- Yes, just have them give your name. Please be sure that whoever picks up has your receipt.
- Can I start with Week-By-Week, then change to a share?
- Not for a Full Season Share, as those orders must be placed before the season opens. But you can first try Week-By-Week, and later decide to purchase a Late Season Share.
- How do I pay?
- You may order and pay (Paypal or credit card) online
on our order page.
Please bring your receipt (either printed out or visible on your phone) when you pick up.
Week-By-Week boxes can also be ordered by email and paid (cash or check only) when you pick up.
Email orders are considered a promise to purchase!
Please be sure to write your name and the number of boxes in your email order.
- How much food is in each box? Will I be able to carry the box?
- Our boxes are about 12" X 17" X 7", with hand-holes for easy carrying and a separate lid. The weight varies with the type of produce, but a box will usually weigh between 10 and 20 lbs.
- Is all the produce from Ward's Berry Farm?
- Initially, all produce will be from Ward's. Later in the season, we may add items from other Massachusetts farms, but at least 90% of the produce in each box will always be from Ward's. For example, since we do not grow apples, in fall we often add apples from a farm about 40 miles away. You can see when our crops are in season on our Crop Calendar.
- Is the produce organic?
- No. Ward's crops are grown using IPM (integrated pest management) and judicious use of pesticides and fertilizers.
- Can I get pro-rated for my vacation week, or weeks that I can't pick up?
- No, but you are welcome to have someone else pick up for you (just be sure they have your receipt). If your box will not be picked up, we'd appreciate an email letting us know.
- Can I order a share for every other week?
- We do not have a bi-weekly subscription, but you are welcome to order every other week (or whenever you please) using the WEEK-BY-WEEK option.
- Do you have half shares?
- No, all our boxes contain the same amount of produce.
- Will my box contain the exact items listed in the email and on the website?
- There are many factors (weather, pests, etc.) that can affect crops right up until the moment they are picked. So although our predictions are usually accurate, sometimes we must make substitutions. We always substitute with something as similar as possible, of equal or greater value.
- Can you make substitutions for specific items? I have food allergies. There are some fruits and vegetables I never eat.
- Unfortunately, we cannot make any substitutions for any reason.
- What happens if something is missing from my box?
- We try to be perfect, but mistakes happen! Ward's is always glad to replace any missing or unsatisfactory items. Just email and a replacement will be sent for you the following week. It's always a good idea to check your box against the enclosed list before you leave the stand; that way any problems can be fixed on the spot.
- What happens if I miss the pick up time?
- If you miss pickup you are welcome to come to the farm in Sharon to pick up your box. Just email and your box will be held for you.
- Who should I speak to when I call the farm?
- For all problems, questions and concerns about Farmer's Choice Boxes, please email directly. This will assure that the right person hears your problem, so you will get a quick and accurate response.
- Can I bring back the empty box for reuse?
- Yes, please! We will reuse boxes while they are in good condition, then relegate them to dirtier farm chores.