11:30 AM - 3 PM
To view the coming week's box contents list,
to order, or to send us an email please click
BU FARMER'S CHOICE BOXES
BU Dining Services is once again partnering with Ward's Berry Farm to provide BU Farmer's Choice Boxes - set boxes of seasonal fruits and vegetables for pre-ordering. This year we are very excited to be offering a SPRING SHARE for the month of April. Each week in April, and from early June through late October farmer Jim Ward will select a variety of local produce (most of which is picked fresh right here at Ward's Berry Farm in Sharon, MA) to fill the boxes. The contents of the boxes vary from week to week as the season progresses, so not only do you get fresh produce, but you also gain a real feel for our local cycle of crops!
Each week during the season, an approximate list of the contents of that week's box will be posted on our website on the BU Farmer's Choice Boxes order page. Actual contents may vary; if crops don't come in as expected, we must make substitutions. Any substitutions will be with items as similar as possible, and of equal or greater value.
Spring shares will be very green! In April you can expect spinach, arugula, lettuce, kale, baby mustards, baby radishes, pea greens, many types of micro and mini greens, herbs, including thyme, chives and mint, nasturtium leaves and blossoms, and possibly asparagus toward the end of the month! We may also be supplementing with some items from other local farms; possibly mushrooms, apples, dried cranberries, kale, and swiss chard. People who want a little non-local flavor may also have an option for Florida grapefruit.
May will bring more asparagus, rhubarb, Swiss chard, mizuna, cilantro, spring onions and more herbs like basil, tarragon and sage. We may also have the delicious baby salad turnips now found in most high end cuisine.
If the boxes are too greens-heavy, we may balance them with Ward's preserved items (jams, pickles, tomato sauce, etc.)
We also have some exciting high tunnel experiments underway, and if they yield well, there may also be some very pleasant surprises!
- PURCHASING OPTIONS:
- We offer four options for purchasing:
- LATE SPRING SHARE -- $90
One box every week from 5/4/17 - 6/1/17 (5 weeks)
Ordering Deadline: May 1
- SUMMER/EARLY FALL SHARE -- $500
One box every week from 6/8/17 - 10/26/17 (21 weeks)
- EARLY FALL SHARE -- $200
One box every week from 9/7/17 - 10/26/17 (8 weeks)
Ordering Deadline: August 15, 2017
April 6 - June 1 -- $20/box
June 8 - October 26 -- $26/box
This option is not a subscription; you may order any number of boxes any weeks you choose.
Ordering deadline: 10 PM Tuesday for Thursday pickup.
- PICKUP SCHEDULE:
- Thursdays, from 11:30AM until 3:00PM
outside in front of the GSU Plaza, 775 Commonwealth Ave.
- You may order and prepay for all shares and week-by-week boxes on our
order page. Please be sure to save your
receipt and bring it with you (either printed out or visible on your phone) when you pick up.
All cancellations must be made by the ordering deadline.
- When does it start?
- Our first Spring Season box for 2017 will be Thursday, April 6.
Our first Late Spring Season box will be Thursday, May 4.
Our first Summer/Early Fall Season box will be Thursday, June 8.
Early Fall Season begins September 7.
The list of approximate contents will be posted on our order page and emailed to people on the email list.
- Where do I pick up?
- Pickup is outside in front of the GSU Plaza, 775 Commonwealth Ave. If there is heavy rain (or any other condition that makes outdoor pickup unsuitable), pick up may be moved inside the GSU link, next to Bank of America.
- Can someone else pick up my box for me?
- Yes, just have them give your name. Please be sure that whoever picks up has your receipt.
- Can I start with Week-By-Week, then change to a share?
- Not once that season has begun, as those orders must be placed before the season begins. But you can try Week-By-Week, and later decide to purchase a share for a future season.
- How do I pay?
- You may order and pay (Paypal or credit card) online
on our order page.
Please bring your receipt (either printed out or visible on your phone) when you pick up.
Week-By-Week boxes can also be ordered by email and paid (cash or check only) when you pick up.
Email orders are considered a promise to purchase!
Please be sure to write your name and the number of boxes in your email order.
- How much food is in each box? Will I be able to carry the box?
- Our boxes are about 12" X 17" X 7", with hand-holes for easy carrying and a separate lid. The weight varies with the type of produce, but a box will usually weigh between 10 and 20 lbs.
- Is all the produce from Ward's Berry Farm?
- Initially, all produce will be from Ward's. Later in the season, we may add items from other Massachusetts farms, but at least 90% of the produce in each box will always be from Ward's. For example, since we do not grow apples, in fall we often add apples from a farm about 40 miles away. You can see when our crops are in season on our Crop Calendar.
- Is the produce organic?
- No. Ward's crops are grown using IPM (integrated pest management) and judicious use of pesticides and fertilizers.
- Can I get pro-rated for my vacation week, or weeks that I can't pick up?
- No, but you are welcome to have someone else pick up for you (just be sure they have your receipt). If your box will not be picked up, we'd appreciate an email letting us know.
- Can I order a share for every other week?
- We do not have a bi-weekly subscription, but you are welcome to order every other week (or whenever you please) using the WEEK-BY-WEEK option.
- Do you have half shares?
- No, all our boxes contain the same amount of produce.
- Will my box contain the exact items listed in the email and on the website?
- There are many factors (weather, pests, etc.) that can affect crops right up until the moment they are picked. So although our predictions are usually accurate, sometimes we must make substitutions. We always substitute with something as similar as possible, of equal or greater value.
- Can you make substitutions for specific items? I have food allergies. There are some fruits and vegetables I never eat.
- Unfortunately, we cannot make any substitutions for any reason.
- What happens if something is missing from my box?
- We try to be perfect, but mistakes happen! Ward's is always glad to replace any missing or unsatisfactory items. Just email and a replacement will be sent for you the following week. It's always a good idea to check your box against the enclosed list before you leave the stand; that way any problems can be fixed on the spot.
- What happens if I miss the pick up time?
- If you miss pickup you are welcome to come to the farm in Sharon to pick up your box. Just email and your box will be held for you.
- Who should I speak to when I call the farm?
- For all problems, questions and concerns about Farmer's Choice Boxes, please email directly. This will assure that the right person hears your problem, so you will get a quick and accurate response.
- Can I bring back the empty box for reuse?
- Yes, please! We will reuse boxes while they are in good condition, then relegate them to dirtier farm chores.