FARM MANAGER POSITION
Two farm managers share responsibilities and work cooperatively with owner to manage the 180-acre produce farm. Responsibilities shift with the seasons, and encompass all elements of farm production, sales (retail, farmers market, wholesale, CSA boxes, etc.) and purchasing.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- CSA MANAGER: Creating and executing a farm plan for 16 acres of certified organic fields; including tractor & field work, communication with farm staff, and maintenance of organic certification.
- RETAIL BUYING: Shopping at the New England Produce Center for farm store; including maintaining inventory, tracking seasonal sales trends, and ensuring proper produce rotation.
- GREENHOUSE: Seeding, watering, fertilizing, transplanting, etc.
- FIELD WORK: Tractor operation, tilling, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, irrigating, spraying, pruning and other tasks.
- CREW MANAGEMENT: Hiring, training, assigning, and overseeing crews, focusing on efficiency and productivity in many tasks including weeding, harvest, post-harvest handling, and packing.
- HARVEST AND LOADING DOCK MANAGEMENT: Managing inventory, wholesale orders, CSA boxes, grading & packing produce, assembling orders & packing trucks, assigning tasks; ensuring harvest corresponds to farm's obligations.
- OFF-SEASON MAINTENANCE AND PLANNING: Cleaning greenhouses and barn, inventorying & ordering seeds, maintaining equipment, inventorying supplies, mapping and planning for upcoming seasons.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Previous experience required
- Strong communication skills
- Fundamental math skills
- Good physical health; ability to lift and move at least 50 lbs.
- Willingness and availability to work very early mornings and long days (especially during the growing season)
- Self-motivation; ability to work without supervision
- Ability to multi-task
If interested, please come by the farm, or
and fill out our employment application.
Please note on your application that you are applying for the FARM MANAGER position.
For more information, please call 781-389-2349.